Mac and Cheese
May 25, 2013
- 8 oz. pasta shapes
- 2 ½ cups lowfat milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese (sharp cheddar works well, as does as a mixture of cheddar and fontina)*
- Freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- Place the dry pasta in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain and place in a medium saucepan.
- Add the milk, butter, dry mustard, and salt to the pan with the pasta. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and, stirring constantly, cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the milk is completely absorbed. Test the pasta for doneness and add more milk as needed if the pasta is not cooked.
- Once the pasta is cooked through and all of the milk has been absorbed, remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper; stir. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Add nutmeg and some paprika 😉